As the end of the year approaches, many people find themselves scrambling to use up their optical benefits before they reset. Here are a few reasons why you should make an appointment sooner rather than later.
1. Health fund benefits generally reset at the beginning of each year, so if you wait for a ‘quiet moment’ to take advantage of your benefits, 2023 could be on us before we realise it.
2. Many optical practices are busiest at this time of year as people try to use up their benefits before they reset, so it can be challenging to get an appointment if you leave it too late
3. The turn-around times for production and courier services are often slower at this time of year due to the increased demand, so if you need new prescription glasses, you should book an appointment and pick them up well in advance.
4. We can’t forget about all you busy contact lens wearers in the Tasmanian community, either! We’ve reached the end of the year, and that 6-month supply of contact lenses has extended past their ideal wear time. Wearing contacts for too long can lead to eye infections, so it’s essential to have a regular eye exam to make sure your prescription is up-to-date. A fresh supply of contact lenses to start the holiday season is the best gift you can reward yourself with! So, consider updating your prescription and stocking up.
DID YOU KNOW? You can order a range of contact lenses online, too. In addition, Island Optical provides a range of contact lens products directly from the ware house to your door-That’s a great stocking filler right there!
5. If you have children, they should have their vision checked yearly to ensure their sight skill sare developing correctly and they don’t need glasses or contacts.
6. To all our precious older adults in the community. You may be at an increased risk for developing age-related macularde generation and other vision problems, so it’s crucial for you to have regular eye exams as well. So get in touch today before all your big festive gatherings begin!
7. If you wear glasses or contacts, westrongly encourage you to check on the condition of your backup pair of eyeglasses and your quantity of contact lenses. An ’emergency’ set of glasses would still take too long to be produced during your holiday break. And contact lenses are not kept in great supply onsite. We’d hate for anything to disrupt your holiday break or travels if something unfortunate happened with your ‘only good pair’ of eyeglasses or contact lenses.
If nothing else, drop by either of our two locations and allow our trained staff to provide acomplimentary clean and service on your trusty pair of glasses. Tight ening the screws, replacing the nose-pads, and making temple adjustments will ensure that your prescription glasses are ready for the summer break too!
8. If you’re going on a long trip, it’s a good idea to schedule an eye exam in Hobart or Launceston before you go. We provide complimentary prescription cards you can take with your other important documents, just in case! We’d rather you never need a copy of your current prescription and have it than not have it at hand.
9. Some medications can cause vision problems, so if you’ve started a new prescription drug or medicine, it’s a good idea to check your eyes, just in case. If your GP or pharmacist has suggested as much, follow-up with their recommendation—we’re only too happy to assist. And your appointment is bulk-billed!!
10. Lastly, annual eye exams can help catch other health problems early on, such as diabetes and high blood pressure. We’d encourage you to start the New Year off on the right foot (or the right eye?!) with a comprehensive eye test as part of a health check. You can book now for an appointmentin January!
As the end of the year approaches, many people find themselves scrambling to use up their optical benefits before they reset. So, consider each of the ten reasons we mentioned above. One of them may offer the motivation you need to act now.
Whilst some Health fund benefits reset in line with the Financial Year, resetting July 1st, most will reset at the beginning of the year. This means that if you don’t use them now, you will lose them. Additionally, many optical practices are busiest at this time of year, so it can be challenging to get an appointment if you leave it too late.
It’s also essential to plan ahead as turn-around times for production and courier services are often slower at this time of year due to the increased demand. With holiday shopping a primary focus at the end of the year and the Christmas season hitting its straps, we get busy, and opportunities to use our health fund take a back seat.
So, if you are thinking about ‘an eye test near me,’ let’s encourage you to act on that-make that appointment today!
EYE TEST HOBART ISLAND OPTICAL (03) 6231 3640
Get the end of this year or the start of the New Year off on the right foot!
Your eyes will thank you for it!